What is LinkedIn and what can I do on it?
LinkedIn is a social media platform for professional networking. Once you create an account, your profile is visible to other users who can connect with you, follow you and send you messages. Much like many other social media platforms, you can post updates that your followers can see. These can be photos, articles, links to videos, or even polls if you want to ask your followers a question.
How can I make an account?
Making a LinkedIn account is super quick and simple, and it’s free too! As long as you’re over 16 years old, anyone can make an account on LinkedIn. To get started, just head to www.linkedin.com and click sign up. You’ll have to fill in a few details, like your email address, the password you want to use for the account, as well as your first and last name. Follow the prompts on the website and fill in as much information about yourself as you can.
What should I do on my LinkedIn account?
- Connect with people you know – Whether they’re your friends, family, colleagues or if you study with them, you can connect with anyone on LinkedIn. It’s probably best to only connect with the people you’ve actually met or come across before.
- Share updates about your studies or your career
- Interact with other people’s posts
- Look for jobs
- Update your CV and professional history
- Do online courses
- Keep updated on industry news
- Message people – ask for mentoring
Why is having an account so important?
Networking is a really important part of your career. Regardless of what job you want to do or what sector you’re interested in, there are loads of things you can do on LinkedIn to put yourself in the best possible position for the future.
When should I get an account?
If you don’t have one already, the best time to get an account is right now! It’s never too early to start growing your online professional network. You never know what opportunity you might get through a connection or update.
Take a look through our blog posts for the latest updates from the POW Campaign, as well as tips and advice on how you can find your power.